Sunday, December 4, 2011

A MYSTERY (OR MAYBE 2)

I am traveling from Bengaluru to New delhi via Rajdhani express. It's a tiring 36 hours journey and made more irritating by the constant supply of food every 1 hour (who wants to have lunch at 11:3o A.M after having soup at 11???). I feel frustrated and reach for my bag to take out the books I have bought along to read on my way. I look at the two books in front of me

1] The last lecture - Randy Pausch

2] Revolution 2020 - (Do I need to mention the writer??)

I decide to start with "The last lecture" and i finish it within 3 hours (even I am surprised by my speed) and I am very touched and motivated by the book and its different philosophies. Its told in a very lucid and simple language by a man who wants to leave his teachings well documented for his children, before he dies (he has cancer......).

Its 7 P.M and its time for the waiter to bring the soup and bread sticks to annoy me for the 2nd time in the day. Anyways, I gulp down the soup and decide to pick up the 2nd book. As I was going through the first few pages of the book, I had a strange sensation. Imagine watchingAmerican Pie after just finishing watching The Bucket List. It was as if I was flying through the pages of the latest Chetan Bhagat caper which had the most UNIQUE story one could imagine. Its a love triangle between a beautiful girl and two boys (one more successful than the other academically), some political drama, corruption, some sex scenes.............now isn't that what you would call niche`?????? I finish the book by midnight while rest of the people around me were deep in their dreamland.

After finishing the book I asked to myself ,"What is it that makes Chetan Bhagat soooooooo famous??"I must admit that even before purchasing the book online, I knew I wasn't going to get the next Godfather or even the next Five point someone. As I was halfway into the book, I could pretty much make out what the other half was about. There were times when I just asked myself “ why did I buy this book”?? But inspite of all these things, I bought the book. I read the book. Finished the book by midnight.

The only thing more mysterious to me than Mr.Chetan Bhagat’s fame is Aamir Khan getting the filmfare for Raja Hindustani. This person has excellent academic qualifications and has studied in the elite colleges of our country. But anyone unknown to these facts can never comprehend this by simply reading his books. Even in some of his interviews and newspaper columns, his views and his writing style baffles me. He writes screenplays rather than literature. It is as if he anticipates that his next book would surely be the next box office blockbuster. If I have to really analyze his reasons of fame as a writer, I find the following points

1] Very easy to understand language

2] Good sense of humor [Declining trend]

3]Connects with college going kids on one aspect or the other

4] Has become a role model for youngsters by the way he quit his job to follow his passion

5] Assures us that we are better than the Americans

These are all the technical aspects that I could think of. But being a MBA in marketing, this would not give all my answers. So suddenly it struck in my head

“He is famous because he SELLS”

Face the facts. You may use the best of language and literature to write a book, but at the end of the day whats the point if it does not reach to the masses. This is where Chetan Bhagat scores. He does not target the literature loving class. Rather, he has converted a whole lot of heavy metal loving, party hopping, Nintendo clutching , Marvel comics loving teenagers into readers of Indian fiction. He has done that by writing things that connects to them at one level or the other. There had been so many writers after him who have tried to copy this success story after that with varying levels of success. He has inspired a whole lot of writers to pen down their own tales and we can see the change in the section of the Indian Writing scenario with our own eyes. Even the publishing houses are understanding the situation and opening their facilities for wannabe writers. Indian writing is no more confined to a handful of writers. Somewhere down the line, a little credit does go to Chetan Bhagat for this change.

Here I am, just bending towards the positive side of a man whose book I didn’t find particularly amusing. But that’s Chetan Bhagat for you. Must give the due credit where he deserves one.I move towards the washroom before I retire to my berth. As I pass the seats and reach the washroom, I see atleast 6 more people heavily engrossed in their copies of Revolution 2020………….I smile to myself. Well, I have seemed to decipher the reason of the author’s success (even a bit). But Raja Hindustani will always remain a mystery as I switch off the lights and say myself Good Night,

1 comment:

GST Refunds Delhi said...

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.